hiddenbehindthepages

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

hiddenbehindthepages
hiddenbehindthepages
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everything and anything can be written here...Want to be a Wizard? Or be Part of House of Night? Then visit The Sorting Hat and Get Marked!

TB
Latest topics
» Corrupt A Wish
Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 7:23 pm by Ageless Vampire

» Please Follow These Instructions For Getting Sorted!
Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 7:07 pm by Mrs.KreszentiaBlack

» August 1st 2017 Short Story Contest Genre: Anything
Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense EmptyFri Jul 21, 2017 5:03 pm by Mrs.KreszentiaBlack

» (x) Time Travellers (x) Courtney x Kressie
Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense EmptyThu May 12, 2016 3:20 am by courtney

» After the Happily Ever After(Kressie and courtney)
Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense EmptyThu May 12, 2016 3:18 am by courtney

» Hell City 1 on 1 rp.
Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense EmptyWed May 11, 2016 2:41 pm by courtney

» Ghost Lover[X]
Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense EmptyWed May 11, 2016 2:38 pm by courtney

» Hey Everyone. Ready to get sorted?!?!
Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 2:03 pm by Silvonch

» Romantic Moments
Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 12:01 pm by Mrs.KreszentiaBlack

Poll
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense Empty Chapter 7 - That Just Doesn't Make Sense Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:41 am

Mrs.KreszentiaBlack

Mrs.KreszentiaBlack
Captain
Captain

The heavy wood doors of the Minister’s office crashed open.

“Dumbledore!” Rose yelled as she stormed in the room.

The yelling startled a sleeping Dumbledore. He jumped and his signature spectacles fell off his face.

Rose walked right up to the portrait, so her nose was almost touching it. “What the bloody hell is going on?”

“My, my,” Dumbledore replied, “I must say, I have no idea what you are referring to,”

“That stupid book you told me to read. It doesn’t make any sense! So then I asked about it and everyone got all weird. What is going on?”

Dumbledore started to chuckle.

“Why are you laughing?” Rose was more taken aback than anything.

“My dear girl, I suggested that particular book
to start,” he calmly looked at her, “Mainly, I wanted you to get curious. I imagine much of that book is exaggeration, seeing who wrote it.”

“What?” she looked outraged, “Who wrote it?”

“An old reporter by the name of Rita Skeeter. She had a tendency to take the truth and spin it in such a way that, well, it no longer resembled the truth.”

“Why would you tell me to read a book of lies?”

“Not lies, exaggerations,” he clarified, “Most of what she writes does have a basis in the truth, no matter how small.”

“So you’re saying that my family has been lying all these years?”

“No, I don’t think so. Skeeter tends to make the truth bigger and more exciting than it really is, your family, I believe, made it smaller and less exciting,”

Rose sat down at Hermione’s desk. This whole thing was getting really confusing.

“Can’t you just tell me what happened? I mean, you had a lot to do with it didn’t you?”

“True, I did. But knowledge given freely is not as satisfying as knowledge discovered.”

Rose sighed in frustration.

“And plus,” he added as an afterthought, “I died before the really exciting part.”

She put her head on the desk, closed her eyes, and tried to let all this information sink in. Have her parents been lying to her? Have they been lying to
everyone?

She raised her head and swiveled the chair around to face Dumbledore once more.

“So now what do I do?”

“You honestly couldn’t have thought you were going to get all the answers in such a short amount of time,”

“I should keep looking. But where?”

“My suggestion would be to take advantage of the access you have,” his eyes scanned the room.

“Of course, I’m in her stinking office,” Rose again felt rather stupid. It was so obvious there might have well been a big, neon sign saying ‘Look here!!’

But there was so much…stuff. She knew it was probably organized in some convoluted system that only Hermione could possibly understand. She looked back up at Dumbledore in a silent plea for help.

He made a barely noticeable nod towards the bookcase on her right, and then sat back down in the armchair painted behind him.

Rose got up and made her way over to the bookcase. It was stuffed full of books, papers, folders, and various other things Rose didn’t really recognize. Most of the books were either volumes of wizarding law, or Muggle classics. How her mother found anything Rose would never know. She searched around for anything that might look even remotely helpful. After a good forty-five minutes of searching with no luck, she came across a large accordion folder that seemed out of place. It looked much older than papers and folders around it, and it seemed to be placed very carefully in the back, almost like she was trying to hide it.

She took the file and brought it over to the desk. She didn’t notice Dumbledore, who had been paying very little attention to her as she was searching, was now looking on intently. She tried to open the folder, but there was some kind of charm on it. Rose pulled out her wand. After a few minutes of waving it over the file and trying a number of different counter-charms, the folder finally opened. She smiled triumphantly, proud to know that she could break a spell her mother cast.

The contents of the folder were much older than the rest of the papers around the office. Rose spread them out on the desktop and scanned over them. She picked up the one that had been in the very back of the folder.

“Hey, look at this,” she turned to Dumbledore, “it’s her letter saying she was accepted to Hogwarts,” she read it aloud:

“15 July 1991

Dear Miss Granger,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. A school official will be arriving at your home within the week to explain to both you and your parents the exciting opportunity that has presented itself to you. Please find enclosed a list of the necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on September 1.

Yours sincerely

Minerva McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress” ***

Rose put the letter back down on the desk. “School officials never came to my house when I got my letter,”

“Ah because your parents where well aware of Hogwarts and the wizarding world, having attended there themselves. Your mother’s parents are Muggles. They weren’t even aware wizards were real, never mind that their daughter was one,”

“Oh, that makes sense,” she continued to re-read the letter.

“I went to see Miss Ganger myself actually,” he continued to no one in particular, “I could tell she was going to be a talented witch from the day I met her,”

Rose wasn’t really paying attention to Dumbledore’s trip down memory lane. Instead, she had a focused look on her face and was counting furiously on her fingers. She let out a frustrated groan and grabbed a piece of blank paper and a quill from the desk and started writing frantically.

“What are you doing?” Dumbledore asked with a knowing smile on his face.

“It doesn’t make sense,” Rose mumbled without looking up from her paper. She continued to scribble until she had come to the conclusion she was hoping for. She turned towards Dumbledore. “It doesn’t make sense,”

“What doesn’t make sense?” he looked, however, like he knew exactly what didn’t make sense.

“The year, it doesn’t make sense. Here look,” she help up her paper of scribbled numbers, “I graduated from Hogwarts in 2024, Headmaster Martin was so keen on me making that Head Girl speech because my mother had made it
exactly 25 years before. That would put my mother graduating in 1999, right?” Dumbledore nodded. “But this letter,” she waved Hermione’s letter in the air, “is dated 1991. Seven years after that is 1998, not 1999,”

“So…” he prompted her to continue. He was actually very impressed that she had gotten there so fast. He knew she was smart, but that was almost too smart.

“Either she lied about when she graduated, but that doesn’t make sense because it was Headmaster Martin who said it, he said he was there, or she didn’t go to Hogwarts in 1991, she went later, but why would she do that,”

“Or…” Dumbledore was obviously not pleased with either of Rose’s options.

“Or…” Rose thought hard, “Or, she went to Hogwarts in 1991, and missed a year somewhere? That makes even less sense than the going later idea or the Headmaster Martin is delusional idea,”

“Does it?”

“Wait a second! You know,” she pointed an accusing finger at the portrait.

“I know what?” he asked innocently.

“You know why this doesn’t add up. You know what happened,”

“Knowledge freely given…”

“Is less satisfying than knowledge discovered. Yeah, yeah, you said that one already today you know, maybe you should find new material.”

She put the contents back into the folder and sealed it up again. Taking the folder with her she walked towards the door. When she got to the doors, she turned back to face the portrait, “I’m going to figure this out you know. I’ll show you discovered knowledge,”

“I very much hope you do,” he replied and walked out of the frame. He had important business at his portrait at Hogwarts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Green flames erupted in the fireplace in the Weasely’s living room. Rose looked at the clock as she stepped out and noticed that it was almost six o’clock. Hugo would be out of work and at the hospital by now. Ron was obviously still at the hospital, so the house was deserted. Grandma Molly had come and cleaned up the mess Ron and Hugo had left before ‘the incident’ (which is what they all were referring to it as now, it was a less terrible term), so the house was generally clean.

Rose made her way to the kitchen with the folder she had taken from Hermione’s office. She placed it on the kitchen table, fully intending to examine the whole contents of it, but first she needed something to eat. As she was rummaging through the cabinets and thinking that she should probably go grocery shopping because no one else was going to, she heard a knock on the door. She thought that was rather strange, because no one ever used the front door at her house. Most people either used the Floo Network or apperated.

Curious, she walked into the foyer with her wand in her hand, just in case (it had been a rough week). She had to stand on her tippy toes to see out the peep hole, and staring back at her was literally the last face she was expecting.

“Holy shit,” she said as she opened the door, “Kenny? What are you doing here?”

“Thank god Rose, I found you,” he gave her a tight hug. Apparently hugs that threaten to crush your insides are proper etiquette when your mother is in a coma.

“Yeah you did, but how?” Rose couldn’t believe that he was here. She just continued to look at him in disbelief. “Why?”

“Um, do you think I can come in?”

She shook her head to clear it, “Oh yeah, sure come on in. Are you hungry? We really don’t have anything to eat.”

“No, it’s ok, I’m fine,”

She led him into the living room where she sat down on one of their large comfortable sofas and motioned for him to do the same. He sat across from her.

“How did you find me? I’ve never told you where I live,” she questioned.

“Yeah I realized that
after I got off the plane,” he gave a little laugh, “I got your voicemail. You sounded so upset, and your mom was hurt. I knew we left things really bad back there, so I ran to your room to try and catch you before you left. I obviously didn’t. Liz was there. She said you had left her a note. It was all very confusing. So I got on a plane and came here, to make sure you were ok…” he trailed off.

Rose couldn’t help but smile; he had come all the way across an ocean (it had probably cost him a fortune by the way) just to make sure she was ok. She really did love him.

“So when I landed, I realized I actually had no idea where in England you lived. Well, I knew you said you went to London a lot so I knew it couldn’t be that far. I found a pay phone, did you know you don’t get cell service over here, and called Liz thinking maybe she knew. She remembered you talking about a place called Godric’s Hollow or something. So, I had a taxi take me there. I asked around, most people had no idea who I was talking about. But I found this little old lady who said the Weaselys and the Potters live just east of the village. I did remember your cousins’ last name is Potter, so I walked. You live really far east of the village, did you know that?”

“Yeah, I did,” she stared at him in astonishment, “We live really,
really out of the way on purpose. I can’t believe you did all that,” She literally just wanted to jump on him and start kissing him right then.

“So, how’s your mom?”

Rose actually hadn’t been thinking about Hermione while she was listening to Kenny. He had done what no one in her family had been able to do, he distracted her.

“Um, not great,” she started picking at her fingernails, “she’s in a coma right now. They don’t know whether or not she’ll wake up,”

“Rosie, I’m so sorry,” Kenny got up and sat next to her. He put his strong, protective arm around her shoulder. They sat there in silence for a while until they were interrupted by green flames and Kenny almost falling over.

“What the…” he stammered as a redheaded girl walked out of the flames.

“Rose! My mom says she needs to talk to you…” Lily cut off when she saw Rose and a rather frightened Kenny sitting on the couch. “Why hello there, who may I asked are you?”

“Lily, this is Kenny,”

“Oh like I’m-not-coming-home-because-I’m-going-to-New-York-with-Kenny? That Kenny?”

Rose nodded.

“Kenny, this is my cousin Lily,”

He just continued to look at Lily and then back at the fireplace.

Lily looked at Rose, “Does he not know? Because that’s a awfully crappy way to tell him Rose,”

“No, he knows,” she looked at Kenny, “he just refuses to believe me,”

“She just came out of the fire!”

“If that freaks you out, you are really in for a surprise around here,” Lily tossed her long red hair behind her shoulder and turned to Rose, “Yeah, so, my mom said she needs to talk to you,” she looked expectantly at Rose.

“What! Like now?”

“She said it’s important, I dunno,”

Rose looked at a still stunned Kenny. She didn’t want to leave him there by himself. He was obviously still in shock from Lily’s entrance, and if he went snooping around the house, she was sure he would have a heart attack. “Ok, um, Kenny,” he looked up at her in a daze, “I have to go talk to my aunt I guess. Why don’t you stay here with Lily?” He just nodded.

She walked over close to Lily, “Can you please stay with him? If he goes wandering around Merlin only knows what will happen,” she whispered.

“Fine, but if he asks me questions I’m going to answer him, and I’m going to eat your food,”

“Fine tell him whatever,” she rushed toward the fireplace, “and we don’t have any food, so there.”

Lily sighed in feigned frustration. “Oh she’s at our house, not the hospital, just so you know,”

“Oh thanks Lil,” Rose rolled her eyes. She grabbed a handful of Floo powder and threw it into the fire. She stepped into the green flames and yelled, “the Potter’s”

Kenny stared at the place where Rose had just been. He had absolutely no idea what was going on, but he was starting to think that it was him who was crazy, not Rose.

“C’mon, we’re going to go see about this food situation,” Lily turned and walked out of the living room. Kenny got off the couch and followed her to the kitchen. When he got there, Lily was already searching the cabinets. “So, you know Rose from school huh?”

“Yeah,” he had finally found his voice, “We lived down the hall from each other freshman year,”

“Nice,” she closed the cabinets in frustration, “Man, they really don’t have any food,”

Kenny sat down at the table and watched Lily scurry around the kitchen. She could be Rose’s sister. She had the same red hair, Lily’s was long and straight while Rose kept hers shorter and had some curl to it, but it was red nonetheless. Rose was a little taller and Lily looked a little thinner, but still Kenny was amazed they were only cousins.

“So you’re Rose’s cousin?” Kenny asked.

“Yup,” Lily put her hands on her hips and frowned. Then she smiled and pulled her wand out of her pocket and gave it a flourish. Suddenly, two brightly colored packages came flying into the room and landed on the table. “Ha, I knew Uncle Ron would have something stashed somewhere,” she picked up one of the packages and handed one to Kenny, “here have one,”

“Thanks,” he took the package, “So, this magic thing…it’s real?”

“Of course it is,” she sat down across form him, “why would someone make this up?”

“I don’t know, but stuff like this doesn’t exist,”

“You just don’t think its exists because we don’t want you to,” she was shorting through her Every Flavor Beans.

“Wow, I think its going to take a while to get used to this,” he looked startled as his Chocolate Frog jumped off the table.

“So you must really like Rose to come all this way,”

“Yeah, she’s amazing…”

Lily laughed, “Wow, you like her more than I thought judging by that stupid look you just got on your face,”

Kenny blushed, “Is it that obvious?”

Lily nodded.

http://hiddenbehindthepages.niceboards.net

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum